- January 13, 2022
Mr. S Somanath, New ISRO Chairman
The eminent space scientist Mr. S Somanath has been appointed as the new (10th ) chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in place of the current Chairman Mr.K.Sivan. In addition to the ISRO Chairman, Mr. S Somanath will play a role as the Secretary, department of space (DoS).
Mr. Somanath, is the current Director of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC),Thiruvanathapuram and the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram.
- Tech in Mechanical Engineering from TKM College of Engineering, Kollam
- Masters in Aerospace Engineering from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- He played a major role in development of the PSLV and GSLV Mk-III.
- He also played a key role in three successful missions of GSLV with indigenous cryogenic stages and eleven successful missions of PSLV with the liquid stages realized by LPSC.
- Fifteen successful satellite missions were also accomplished with the propulsion systems supplied form LPSC.
- He energized the development activities of high thrust Semi-cryogenic engine and conceived a fast track hardware realization and test program.
- The development of throttleable engines for lander craft of Chanradrayaan-2 and first time successful flight of electric propulsion system in GSAT-9.
Awards and fellowships
- He is the recipient of the ‘Space Gold Medal’ from Astronautical Society of India, the ‘Merit Award” and ‘Performance Excellence award’ from ISRO and a ‘Team excellence award’ for GSLV Mk-III development.
- He is a Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), Fellow of Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI), Astronautical Society of India (ASI)and a Corresponding member of International Academy of Astronautics (IAA).